During the first two centuries of Bermuda’s settlement there were no church buildings on the island of St David’s. People had to travel by boat to the town of St George to join in worship or for Christian education while the Anglican clergy visited St David’s for baptisms, weddings and funerals.
In the early 1800’s, and following emancipation in 1843, a great effort was made to bring the Gospel message and a Christian education to the growing number of St David’s families and children. Land for the church building was purchased and donated by the Rector of the Parish Church, St Peter’s in St George’s. In 1849 the chapel was erected and then consecrated by Bishop Edward Feild of Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Since then, St David’s Chapel of Ease has served St David’s people for over 150 years. Its cemetery records list the names of nearly every long-time family living on the Island.
SUNDAYS AT 9.00 AM
Holy Eucharist (with organ and choir using Common Worship) and Sunday School
Prayer Book Morning Prayer the 1st Sunday of the month
For all services in the Anglican Parish of St George, see Worship.
SPECIAL ANNUAL SERVICES
For dates of these services, see Worship.
January – Seafarers’ Service
On the third Sunday of January, Bermuda’s seafarers gather together at the Chapel of Ease in St David’s to pay their respects to their comrades lost at sea. St David’s Islanders in particular have always had a strong association with all things maritime. Following the service, memorial wreaths are taken out by boat and committed to the waters of the sea.
May – Blessing of the Boats
The observance of this service is influenced by the association of St David’s Island with the fishing and pilot boat occupations and has its origins in the consecration of the Chapel of Ease in 1849. At that time, there being no bridges between St David’s and the rest of Bermuda, Bishop Feild was rowed across the harbour by four sons of clergymen who volunteered for the service. Many boats were in evidence that day as the Bishop passed through their midst, waving and giving his blessing. These days Sea Cadets from TS Admiral Somers row the incumbent across St George’s harbour to the Chapel of Ease Dock on St David’s Island, where a service is held on the dock, and boats of all kinds are brought for a blessing. In 2014 the blessing of boats was extended to yachts anchored around the harbour.
November – All Souls Cemetery Service
In the afternoon of the first Sunday in November a memorial service is held either in St Peter’s or the Chapel of Ease. Those who have died since the previous service are particularly remembered during the service and at the Chapel of Ease their names are added to the Roll of Remembrance. Any flowers brought to be placed on the graves are blessed at the conclusion of the service.
Occasions (Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals, Confirmation)
The Occasions page of this website contains information about weddings, baptisms, confirmations and funerals which applies to both St Peter’s and Chapel of Ease.
Chapel of Ease Cemetery
For enquiries, please call the Parish Office on (441) 297 2459 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Church Location and Mailing Address
20 Chapel of Ease Road
St George’s DD 01
PO Box GE 68
St George’s GE BX